Join Land O’Lakes, Inc., and help us bring food from farmer to fork, building vibrant communities along the way. We’re a global, Fortune 250 company and a farmer-owned cooperative, which means we work for one another—not Wall Street. We’re proud to rank a Top Workplace. We offer:
- Competitive compensation and rewards
- Best-in-class healthcare for you and your family
- Powerful savings programs
- Training and career progression
We’re hiring an Answer Plot Research Specialist to work at our answer plot locations in the Bismarck, North Dakota territory. This role is the operating arm of an Answer Plot Team. In this role you will perform all aspects of operational functions including but not limited to: farm equipment preparation & operation, seed prep, equipment transport, field operations and GIS applications. You report to the Research Manager for his designated territory and assist in planning and executing the Answer Plot objectives for the region. The Research Specialist must be able to communicate effectively, keep detailed records, and follow instructions. Customer focus is imperative.
- Crop scouting/advising: Walk Answer Plots to evaluate weed control, insect infestations and disease outbreaks, consulting with Agronomists or Technical Seed Managers on solutions, and planning operations to resolve issues with crop production.
- Field Operations: Planting, spraying, harvest and protocol execution at each plot location.
- Answer Plot maintenance and preparation: Prepare sites for training sessions or grower field days. Grooming plots and planning protocol execution to coincide with these events is paramount.
- Oversee and coordinate summer research technicians, provide direction, coaching, mentoring to complete operational goals. Develop workflows and task lists and trains Summer Research Technicians.
- Answer Plot Planning Activities: Assist Research Manager in a number of planning and organizing tasks such as but not limited to the following: sourcing sites, developing contracts, site layout, entry lists, database setup, equipment prep, fertilizer and Crop Protection Product (CPP) planning, operational plans, and data flow planning
- Work with the Land O'Lakes safety team to ensure DOT and Safety compliance. This includes tracking fuel receipts, RAIR compliance; ensuring proper log book procedures are followed.
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Ag related field. Candidates without a bachelor’s degree who possess proven and related experience may be considered
- 1-2 years of small plot or Ag retail experience desired or 1-2 years previous answer plot summer research technician experience
- Must have or can obtain a Class A CDL and Pesticide Applicators License
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft suite of products (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint); Desire experience with Arc GIS.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Must have a valid driver’s license acceptable to company policy in order to operate company vehicle
- Previous experience operating farm or research equipment would be ideal
- Role will require daily and overnight travel, as well as extended hours (including weekends) (50% or more)
Competencies and other skills:
- Understanding of technical and professional skills or knowledge in Agronomy, Ag Technology, and Ag Business profession.
- Ability to partner closely and meet the needs of internal and external customers
- Should be able to communicate with all levels (verbal and written).
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to walk and work in field plots.
- Must have ability to lift 50 lbs, able to climb on and off of farm/research equipment
Environment: Farm/research equipment can be loud, fields are dusty and dirty, and weather conditions can vary from hot and humid to cold and wet.
Land O'Lakes, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) M/F/Vets/Disabled. The company maintains a drug-free workforce, including pre- and post-employment substance abuse testing pursuant to a Drug and Alcohol Policy.
Neither Land O’Lakes, nor its search firms, will ever contact you and ask for confidential information over the phone or in email. If you receive a call or email like this, please do not provide the information being requested.
As a co-op dedicated to working for the common good, Land O'Lakes is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status, among other factors.