Manager California Blueberries
Green Spring Farms, LLC is the farm management entity for Farmland LP that actively manages about 15,000 acres of diversified organic and conventional crops located in California, Oregon, and Washington states is currently seeking a Crop Manager for our California organic blueberry operations.
The Manager California Blueberries will actively manage operations of the company’s organic blueberry production operations in California. He/she delivers crop yields and quality at a cost sufficient to meet planned operational budgets, sales, and profitability targets. He/she is responsible for all aspects of blueberry production from planning and budgeting including field preparation, planting, cultivation, irrigation, fertility, through harvest and processing. This is a management position whose success is dependent upon achieving results through subordinates, consultants, staff, and peers while supporting and partnering with company leaders.
The California blueberry operation currently has 215 acres in production. This is comprised of about 65 acres located near Orland, CA, and currently about 155 acres in production, and an additional 148 acres in development in the Stockton/Tracy, CA area, with planned potential expansion up to 600 or more acres.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Blueberry Farming. Manage the company’s California blueberry fields. Manage day to day operations to deliver crops that meet or exceed budgeted yields, quality, and cost. Plan and direct new blueberry establishment activity as needed.
- Financial Performance. Deliver revenue and operating income to meet or exceed budgeted expectations of management.
- Property Maintenance. Maintain fields, perimeters, irrigation and related infrastructure, and facilities to ensure they are safe, well maintained, and free of excess weeds and debris.
- Management Information. Capture and maintain accurate and timely crop, labor, field work, inputs, and application records including yields and cost per acre by farm, field, and variety. Manage employee time and attendance information to ensure accurate and timely recording and reporting of employees’ hours worked utilizing company software systems.
- Company and Buyer Required Certification Programs. Manage and ensure execution of company and buyer required programs including Employee Safety, Food Safety, USDA Organic and Global GAP certifications as required by the company and its customers.
- Staffing and Services. Plan, hire, train, and manage both year-around and seasonal staff to deliver planned crops and services while meeting or beating planned expense targets. Manage, oversee, and delegate responsibility to staff. Ensure timely recruiting, hiring, and lay-off of seasonal and farm labor contractor staff. Work in conjunction with consultants, vendors, and buyers to provide necessary services to maximize yields, protect and deliver the crop.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Reports to General Manager
- Direct reports include Blueberry Assistant Manager, company employees, and Farm Labor Contractors.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agricultural Crop Sciences or Pomology or related field of study.
- Previous experience in blueberry development and production is a plus.
- Current CA DPR issued licenses, or the ability to get one is desired, and a plus.
- Current and valid driver’s license.
- Ability to operate MS Office programs including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to act as a representative of Green Spring Farms and Farmland LP in hosting and addressing Senior Management, Investors, and Lenders.
- Ability to act as a representative of Green Spring Farms and Farmland LP dealing with vendors, buyers, and consultants.
- Bilingual in Spanish is desired, but not required.
Benefits and Provisions:
- Salary depends on experience and qualifications.
- Company vehicle or adequate monetary stipend for vehicle provided.
- Company phone, laptop computer or adequate stipend provided.
- Medical Insurance provided and Dental Insurance available to purchase.
- 401K with company match available.
Green Spring Farms and Farmland LP are equal opportunity employers