CSS Farms is a multi-state agricultural business with a mission of Growing Great Together. We achieve our vision by leading the way in stewardship and solutions for every field, every load, every day.
At CSS Farms we take great pride in doing the job right and believe our best work is achieved when we work together. Farming is our way of life, we have a deep passion for the land, our families, and our communities. Our legacy is rooted in solving hard problems and tackling new business ventures.
The Operations Manager has significant autonomy and requires a broad skill set, including general management capability, attention to detail, get-it-done attitude, superior interpersonal skills and in-depth agricultural experience. The Operations Manager works with the Farm Manager to effectively manage planting and harvest equipment for potato production. The primary responsibility of this position is to efficiently support farm operations to ensure execution of all field activities and optimal crop production.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
The primary responsibility of this position is to efficiently support farm operations to ensure execution of all field activities and optimal crop production. Specifically:
- Support farm operations
- Work closely with equipment manager to ensure all field prep and tillage operations are completed timely including the preparation, maintenance and troubleshooting necessary to keep farm equipment running optimally
- Be responsible for all planting and harvest planning activities including employee role assignments, monitoring of soil and weather conditions.
- Be responsible for all post-planting activities including border crop establishment, maintenance of cover crop, wheat, pea, mowing operations, and edge spraying. Additionally, support cleanup and maintenance of weeds & undesired plant growth around field borders (i.e. fence lines, pump sites, etc...)
- Be responsible for snow removal for wash plant, office, and shop areas.
- Be responsible for all pre-harvest field activities.
- Be responsible for maintenance and cleanup of cull piles & burial of cull potatoes.
- Organize and lead any post-harvest field activities on current year production fields.
- Lead pre-winter tillage program for fields targeted for next year s potato production.
- Other duties as assigned by Farm Manager
- Support irrigation management
- Assume responsibilities as assigned by Farm Manger for irrigation management.
- Duties may include assisting water management and chemigation on specific areas of the farm.
- Assist with pivot readiness, maintenance and troubleshooting as needed to keep irrigation running for optimum crop quality
- Support planning and administrative functions critical to the farming operation
- Help recruit team of full-time employees
- Participate in budgeting and business planning process
- Support the purchasing of supplies, equipment, and inputs as assigned by the Farm Manager
- Grow and maintain positive landlord, customer, and community relations
- Support Farm Manager in developing relationships with potential landlords.
- Serve as a positive representative to the community, land partners, customer and suppliers.
- As required, work with farm manager in finding and evaluating potential properties to be purchased/leased for chip potato crop rotations and/or expanding acreage.
- Walking and working outdoors in the elements.
- Driving between farm sites to move equipment, parts and perform repairs.
- Operate a motorized vehicle, control panels, telephone/radio, and variety of hand tools.
- Walk across uneven surfaces in fields and outdoor work areas continuously (67% to 100%).
- Climb stairs and ladders occasionally (0%-33%)
- Regularly handling objects of up to 65 lbs.
- Stand for extended periods of time (30 minutes at a time, 8 to 12 hours per shift)
- Occasionally bend, reach, reach above shoulders, squat, kneel for 15 minutes, push or pull up to 50 lbs., twist/rotate arm, wrist and torso, and crawl 20 feet.
- Occasionally perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers.
- A private applicators license or the ability to obtain one.
- Ability to acquire and hold a valid US driver s license and successfully pass vehicle insurance verification.
- Demonstrated ability to be confident, articulate, and professional when communicating with customers, vendors, and landowners.
- Demonstrated strong work-ethic, outstanding leadership ability and exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated strategic management of irrigated and non-irrigated crops.
- Demonstrated financial management experience and budgeting skills.
- Self-directed individual who leads projects to identify and implement solutions with team input.
- Bachelor of Science degree in an Ag related field.
- 5+ years experience managing agricultural programs over a large geographic region
- 5+ years experience managing potato equipment including scheduling and performing maintenance, troubleshooting failures, and basic repairs.
- A current CDL or willingness to obtain one is preferred.
- Proficient in the use of Windows based computer programs (Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and a general aptitude with software systems.
- Adaptability to changing situations and have the ability to perform multiple tasks with multiple priorities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to train and work with operational personnel on the farm.
- Superior organizational and project management skills and experience leading and managing people.
- Ability to comprehend, read, write, and communicate efficiently in English and interact with all levels of the organization.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Market competitive salary
- Healthcare, Dental and Vision coverage as outlined in the company benefits overview.
- Flex spending account for out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- Company matched 401(k) plan options.
- Short Term Disability Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, and Life Insurance.
- A paid time off package.
- Tuition reimbursement options.
CSS Farms is an EOE.
CSS Farms expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.