Job Title: Policy Advisor – Environment, Climate and Water
Division: Policy & Advocacy
Reports to: General Manager Policy and Advocacy
The Policy Advisor – Environment, Climate and Water is a key member of the fast-paced VFF Policy and Advocacy Team that is responsible for policy issues management, policy development and advocacy within the VFF.
The Policy Advisor is responsible for the provision of expert policy advice within the Policy and Advocacy Team and will assist to manage committees, maintain strong relationships with stakeholders and work to effect change at all levels of government.
In conjunction with the General Manager Policy and Advocacy, the Policy Advisor will assist with the identification of emerging issues and trends and the development of strategies and priorities to support the interests of VFF members and all Victorian farmers in regards to environment, climate change and water policy including: environmental management, invasive pests and weeds, emissions reductions, carbon markets, water infrastructure and water markets.
Advocating for and on behalf of members and industry is a core function of the Policy Advisor role, as is managing and developing relationships with key stakeholders.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to key policy development projects, the identification of emerging issues, policy research and analysis, and the prioritisation of research and policy development.
- Monitor industry issues and public debate relevant to farm business and water policy and advising the General Manager Policy and Advocacy and other staff accordingly.
- Prepare written submissions and engage with government and other stakeholders.
- Manage and respond to VFF Member enquiries as directed by the General Manager Policy and Advocacy.
- Provide policy advice to the General Manager Policy and Advocacy, VFF committees and councils and members of the Victorian Farmers Federation.
- In conjunction with the Policy and Advocacy Team contribute to the coordination of advocacy efforts to ensure there is consistent and effective presentation of the VFF’s position to government and other stakeholders.
- Communicate with VFF members and across the business in relation to environment, climate and water policy issues and ensure feedback is appropriately considered.
- Assist in the coordination and delivery of events and activities that benefit VFF members.
- As directed and required by the General Manager Policy and Advocacy, represent the Victorian Farmers Federation on various industry and stakeholder committees and panels.
- Liaise with and organise meetings for members of the VFF Planning, Environment and Climate Change Committee and the VFF Water Council including preparing agendas, briefing papers and taking minutes.
- Other duties as directed by the General Manager Policy and Advocacy.
A commitment to the VFF values is required at all times by VFF Employees:
United: One voice, one team, one dream.
Effective: Delivering on a clear strategy, clear goals and outcomes and communicating them.
Professional: Treat others with respect, accountable, calm, skilled, honest, competent, positive, authentic, dedicated.
Connected: Collaborate across the organization, in touch with our members, their issues and needs, strong, clear networks with relevant external organisations.
Innovative: Adaptable, modern, applying ideas across commodities, teams and members.
This includes compliance with relevant VFF policies, including the Code of Conduct, Personal use of Social Media and Media Contact policies.
This role generally carries no responsibility for supervising subordinate staff, but may manage key
team projects as directed by the General Manager Policy and Advocacy.Key Selection Criteria
Experience and qualifications
- Tertiary qualifications and/or demonstrated experience in environmental studies, natural resource management, science, agriculture, public policy,or a related discipline. An understanding of farming systems will also be highly regarded.
- Experience in a role involving agricultural policy would be highly regarded.
- A demonstrated understanding of, or an interest in, the agriculture industry.
- Ability to establish networks within the agriculture sector and government.
- Excellent oral and written skills. This role requires the ability to convey complicated ideas and policy justifications to a number of audiences through a variety of formats.
- Demonstrated experience in a similar advisory capacity, within a complex issue-rich work environment will be highly regarded.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the key duties and responsibilities satisfactorily:
- A demonstrated understanding of the agricultural industry, regional communities, an government.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills including the ability to write succinctly.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- As the role entails providing advice to VFF members regarding policy and advocacy initiatives, as well as advocating on behalf of the VFF to government and other stakeholders, well developed consultation, communication and negotiation skills are required.
- This role entails liaising with executives, politicians and VFF members, and involves the handling of confidential and sensitive information. The ability to maintain confidentiality and trust within the VFF and with stakeholders is an absolute requirement for this role.
Occupational Health and Safety
Duties of employees
Employees are responsible for:
- Carrying out their duties in a manner which does not adversely affect their own health and safety or that of others.
- Cooperating with measures introduced in the interests of workplace health and safety.
- Undertaking any training provided in relation to OHS.
- Immediately reporting all matters which may affect workplace health and safety to their supervisor.
- Correctly using any information, training, personal protective equipment and safety devices provided.
- Refraining from intentionally misusing or recklessly interfering with anything that has been provided for health and safety reasons.
- Undertaking only those tasks for which they have authorisation and/or the necessary training, and for which all necessary safety arrangements are in place.
Interested candidates should click on APPLY TO THIS POSITION by August 29th