This is a REMOTE role which means you get to work from home! Due to the nature of the role, preference will be given to applicants residing in the Southeast United States specifically either Georgia or Florida
Vive is a crop protection technology company focused on making synthetic and biological active ingredients better using our patented Allosperse® nano-polymer delivery system. Founded in 2006 and headquartered in Mississauga, ON, we are fully commercial with established distribution across the US, and our products were used on 2M acres in 2022.
Vive has grown 2-3X year over year for the past 3 years, and we aren’t slowing down! We’ve received several awards for innovation and ranked in the top half of companies in Deloitte’s 2021 North American Technology Fast 500. With 95+ US and Global patents, and a goal of having 12,500 growers around the world using Vive’s products and technologies in the next 10 years, we’re looking for passionate, growth-minded individuals to join us on our journey to achieving this goal!
At Vive, our core values (G-CROP) are the foundation of everything we do and are a guiding force for all the exciting and unique experiences you’ll have when working with us.
- We are GROWER-focused
- We succeed through COLLECTIVE genius
- We are passionate about building something REAL
- We are all confident and adaptive OWNERS
- We are PRECISE, data-driven, and science-based
If you’re looking to build something real with a team of smart, confident and adaptive owners (and like to have LOTS of fun along the way), keep reading to learn more about the Senior Biologist role and the role you will play in helping us reach our goals!
Your core mission as part of the Product Development team is to lead the development and execution of bioassays and field trials as well as well as analysis and interpretation of results related to assigned tasks.
You will deliver on this mission by:
- Setting up and executing experiments, field trials, analyzing results and preparing detailed reports for assigned work, noting conclusions and making recommendations within the scope of the assignment to various audiences including Team Leads, Senior Chemists, and other members of the team through weekly meetings, presentations and technical reports.
- Performing research and development activities with the expected scientific rigor and knowledge of an expert in the field.
- Ensuring the accuracy of calculations, completeness of data, and adheres to prescribed methods when applicable.
- Helping to develop strategies/methods/SOPs to test and achieve the deliverable of a project.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads the South Region small plot field trial program with oversight from a Team Lead.
- Delivers technical protocols, agronomic summaries and/or detailed reports to Vive’s corporate clients, partner organizations, or team members.
- Maintains external contacts with customers/consultants involved in the projects, including project leads and other partner organizations, suppliers and independent researchers for joint and third-party research. Participates in professional meetings when required.
- Provide regular updates to team members and/or more senior staff on status of projects and/or scientific activities.
- Maintain up-to-date working records, such as lab notebooks and sample reports (sample
- data pages, data summary tables, etc.).
- Provides technical assistance to other functional groups as necessary and works with other scientists towards a determined goal/deliverable.
- May be involved with the hiring of new employees in the functional group.
- Involved in the preparation and review of annual budgets (with senior management)
- Maintains contact with all levels of staff, and collaborates with other scientists, team leads, managers and senior management.
- Recommends methods and equipment improvements as appropriate. Suggests new methods, method validation, and new equipment as appropriate. Develops new methods and SOPs for novel experiments and instruments and improves existing ones.
- Follows all applicable employment, health and safety legislation. Demonstrates corporate values in the performance of the work and interactions with others. Performs other job-related duties as necessary.
Skills & Experiences
- Ph.D. in a related discipline such as Crop Science, Agriculture, Agronomy, Biology or related field.
- 5+ years related experience in a relevant field such as Crop Protection, Crop Science, Plant Physiology, Agronomy. Direct field research experience is an asset.
- Excellent literature and experimental research skills; data analysis and statistical skills; proficient in Office programs and applicable software applications such as ARM.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, creativity and innovation, organizing and planning skills, ability to work under pressure, good oral and written communication skills, very good interpersonal skills, team skills, propensity to continuous learning and experimenting.
- Personal attributes: sense of goal, self-motivation, pride in work, objectivity, cooperativeness, approachability, positive outlook, enthusiasm, and adaptability to changing business requirements.
- The majority of the work is performed in a remote office environment with 30% of time travelling to field trial sites, CROs and professional meeting. Travel to Head Office will be required on at least quarterly basis.
- Some of the work is performed in a field environment where exposures to physical, chemical and biological hazards may exist.
- Potential hazards may include noise, temperature extremes, biohazards and hazardous chemical products. Standard safety procedures will describe personal protective devices that are mandatory requirements of performing the work.
- Is accountable to Vive’s VP Product Development and senior management
- Can initiate new processes or take on additional responsibilities with the prior approval of their supervisor (ex. taking on additional project/experiments).
- Has some latitude to create and implement process improvements within the confines of achieving objectives of the role (ex. suggests new instruments or changes to methods that would increase productivity or improve data accuracy).
- Decisions beyond the scope of the role are generally validated or approved by their manager or more senior staff member.
This is a REMOTE role which means you get to work from home!
Interesting in joining our Team? Sumbit your application by clicking on APPLY TO THIS POSITION.
The successful candidate will undergo background/reference checks, which includes providing proof of vaccination for COVID-19; the company will provide accommodations as required by law, including relating to protected grounds under applicable human rights legislation.
Vive is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. Please advise the recruiter should you have accessibility needs to ensure they are accommodated throughout this process.