CSS Farms is a multi-state agricultural business with a mission of Growing Great Together. We achieve our vision by leading the way in stewardship and solutions for every field, every load, every day.
At CSS Farms we take great pride in doing the job right and believe our best work is achieved when we work together. Farming is our way of life, we have a deep passion for the land, our families, and our communities. Our legacy is rooted in solving hard problems and tackling new business ventures.
The Vice President of Human Resources (HR) is responsible for developing and executing our HR strategy in support of the business plan and strategic direction. This person will lead, plan, develop, and coordinate the policies, activities, and staff of the HR department. They will also collaborate with the senior management team to align the company s business objectives with talent strategies and be a trusted advisor to the leadership team.
This position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer and works closely with all site managers, corporate leaders, and executives, provides leadership to the corporate HR team, and indirectly supports farm-level HR Representatives.
In this role, you will:
- Provide overall leadership and guidance to the HR function by overseeing talent acquisition, learning and development, performance management, succession planning, employee engagement, legal compliance, compensation, and benefits.
- Develop, implement, and monitor HR strategies, policies and practices that support the organization's goals and needs, and that create a diverse, respectful, welcoming work environment for all employees.
- Function as a strategic advisor to senior management regarding key organizational and management issues.
- Understand and advocate for employee needs, with knowledge of what will work for employees and managers in a farming environment.
- Develop strategic recruiting and retention plans to meet our unique human capital needs, which includes developing and maintaining relationships with employment partners, universities, and other recruitment sources.
- Oversee the Temporary Agricultural Workers program (H-2A) to ensure compliance with state and federal Departments of Labor.
- Develop and implement comprehensive compensation and benefits plans that are competitive and cost-effective.
- Aligns with Employee Health and Safety Director by overseeing all workplace injury insurance policies and procedures.
- Oversee new-employee orientation and other onboarding activities.
- Oversee development of contract terms for new employees, promotions, and transfers.
- Manage and resolve employee relation issues, supervising objective investigations when necessary.
- Monitor training programs to ensure employee learning and growth needs are met.
- Design and implement practices to build the capacity of managers to interview, hire and retain a diverse work force.
- Ensure managers are sufficiently skilled and enabled to access appropriate guidance and information to manage workforce issues.
- Demonstrate a true hands-on approach to monitor the "pulse" of the organization and maintain high productivity and employee engagement.
- Manage and engage a high performing HR team.
- Develop and manage departmental budget.
- Implement change initiatives effectively and advise senior leaders who are implementing change initiatives.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law; apply this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources.
- Act as an advocate to maintain the company s values and culture.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Bachelor s degree in Accounting, Business, Human Resources, or a related field
- 10+ years of HR experience, with at least five years of leadership experience in a company of at least 250 employees.
- Strong relationship skills, able to develop "trusted advisor" status at senior management levels to impact and influence decisions.
- Ability to deliver difficult messages with persuasiveness and sensitivity.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Strong working knowledge of temporary worker visa programs, including H-2A
- Technically savvy and proficiency with Human Resources Information Systems, specifically UKG.
- Previous work experience in an Ag related field.
- MBA or MA/MS in human resources or related field.
- SPHR or SHRM-SCP certification preferred
- Excellent listening skills, able to engage effectively at any level of the organization.
- Strong emotional intelligence, with self-awareness guiding professional behavior.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Excellent communications, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate when appropriate.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish is preferred but not required
Work Location Considerations:
- The work location for this position is Kearney, NE at Shared Services.
- We offer a relocation package including moving service and travel expenses for family.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire
- Market competitive salary
- Healthcare, Dental and Vision coverage as outlined in the company benefits overview
- Flex spending account for out-of-pocket medical expenses
- 401(k) plan options
- Short Term Disability Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, and Life Insurance
- A competitive self-managed PTO program
CSS Farms is an EOE.
CSS Farms expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.